Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yoga tools to prevent side stitches.mp4

I get side stitches on occassion. The worst one was on an important race day. It was 95 degrees and I think close to 100% humidity that day. I definitely over hydrated too close to the start of the race in anticipation of the high heat. Within the first quarter mile I was already in agony. By mile 4 I had to walk. I finished the race with a smile, but it was a frustrating race day.

I talked to a few running coaches and learned that there are so many different factors that can cause the dreaded side stitch... from what and when we eat, hydration, how or if we warm up before our run, our pace (i.e. running too fast too soon) and many other variables. We are all unique so what works for one person may not work for another. Like anything that's worthwhile, it takes a little practice, committment and experimentation to find out what will work for you.

Something to also keep in mind is that running and yoga have "relaxation" in common. That statement might sound counter intuitive since running can feel anything but relaxing when you're sweating and pushing your limits and endurance. But when you find your zone, you'll feel relaxed and fluid with your stride, upper body and face, neck and jaw. And when you're in that relaxed zone, you'll be less likely to get a side stitch. Yoga breathing before a run can help. Try... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsEY5J7ATK0

Yoga breathing, stretches and core strengthening exercises can help as well (see the attached video segment). The stretches that open up the ribs and side waist really help me. We focus so much on stretching our hips, hamstrings, and quads we forget our torso and upper body!

Good Luck! I'd love to hear about your race season!

Find me on Facebook and Twitter under Flexible Warrior and stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment