Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Full Circle

Twenty five years ago I was a student at Towson University, studying advertising and public relations. On nice spring days like today, we would hang out at 'the beach' (a grassy area in the center of campus) between classes. If you had told my 21 year old self that we'd be doing yoga on 'the beach' to launch my new book, I would have never believed it. But today, along with the TU students who helped me edit my book, that's just what we did! 



Just two weeks ago, I got together with some of my college roommates for our 25th reunion! 
Yes our hair has changed but we're still the same college girls on he inside. I bet, no matter how young or old you are, you can relate to that! And that's why I enjoyed having students edit my book so much ... I see myself in those students and it reminded me of the young woman I was 25 years ago. 

Plus, writing can be a very lonely process. Taking time away from my desk, to meet with the students, was energizing and fun. Getting their feedback on everything from the title and cover layout to content and of course text edits made all the difference in the world to me. Intetestingly, the students seemed to enjoy the process as much I did! 


From the outside, it can look like we adults have it all together. But, for me, I'm just winging it. Don't get me wrong, I work hard and put 100 percent into everything I do. And I have hundreds of hours of education and study in yoga, fitness, nutrition, sports conditioning and all things health. 

But had I waited until I felt ready or qualified, I wouldn't have a published book in my hands. I also would have never taught my first yoga class, filmed DVDs, raced Irongirl, or even started my own business or this blog! I'm not sure I have ever felt really ready for anything ever in my life! But the thing is, I did it anyway. And I hope you do the same. Be afraid. Be a little overwhelmed and unprepared... And dive in anyway with faith. 

I used to labor over words, spending hours writing and rewriting. Now I let go of perfectionism, try to be as authentic as possible, speak from my heart, speed write and hit send or publish before fear can creep in. So if you see typos, I'll assume you'll figure it out and forgive me for not being perfect. 

In that way, I'm not that different now from when I was a college student. We don't always have to feel ready or to know everything. We learn by doing and the learning should never stop. Someone will always judge. Whatever. 

I think one of the coolest things about yoga is it's basic principle of union. Although the students and I are different ages, skin colors, backgrounds, sexes, political beliefs, etcetera... what unites us is way more powerful than what separates us. We are more alike than different. That's how I feel when I'm with these students... United by a common thread. 

If I could go back in time to 1990 and know then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of pain and struggle. But that's the trick of life. So, I feel happy that I at least got to share some wisdom the years and challenges have brought me. I hope, as they edited my book, these students got a mini education on willpower, chillpower, self-care, stress management, stretching and nutrition.  I hope they are fearless and do hard things. I hope they stress less and listen to the wisdom of their bodies more. I hope they take time to move, stretch and breathe. I hope they drink more water and eat less junk food. I hope they find quiet to listen to their intuition. And I hope they let their light shine and trust that they are perfect just as they are...


Thank you Towson University and News Editing students! And special thanks to Professor JoAnne Broadwater who had the brilliant idea to have her News Editing students edit my book as part of their curriculum this semester. 

One last piece of wisdom for the students as they move on in their lives... Remember that worrying is praying for what you don't want. Focus your energy on what you do want. The Desiderata poem helps me keep me head on straight "in the noisy confusion of life". 

... And Baz Luhrmann's silly but poignant commencement speach / song "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" nails it... 


Here's to fill circles. 

Namaste

Karen Dubs 
Www.flexiblewarrior.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment