Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Obstacles and Inspiration

I'm a busy girl. I'm guessing your schedule is maxed out too. There is hardly enough time in the day to whip up a green smoothie much less stretch! And definitely not enough time to write a book. But I believe it's more about making the time instead of making excuses. My fast food consists of superfood smoothies I make in about two minutes and drink out of a to-go mason jar in my car, my stretching routines happen in 10 minute increments, and my book was written in 5 months during gaps in my schedule. I even wrote a few paragraphs while waiting in doctors offices and in my car between clients (thanks to Google docs!) 

Why did I write the book? What made me want to challenge myself and sacrifice every spare moment of my life for 5 straight months? 

My first inspiration for the book was my Dad and my brother. My dad was an alcoholic who died when he was 50 years old. My brother was a type 1 diabetic who died in a car accident when he was 44. I'm 46. 

The cliche "life is short" became very real to me after losing my brother suddenly. Often we wait until we get sick or are diagnosed with cancer, high blood pressure or diabetes until we wake up and take better care of ourselves. I would like all of us to take better care of ourselves NOW - Before something tragic happens. There is no perfect time. The time is now. 


My second inspiration for writing the book was you. Even though I may not know you, I truly want to spare you any of the pain I suffered and want to help share what I learned along my healing journey from Lyme and autoimmune thyroid disease and how an anti inflammatory superfood diet, self-care and yoga / stretching transformed my health and my life. Little changes make a huge difference. 

I don't know about you, but some of the most powerful lessons of my life came from the obstacles and challenges I faced. Both Lyme and autoimmune thyroid disease derailed me from my goals, crushed my spirit and zapped my energy. Losing my dad and my brother woke me up in ways nothing else could. 

If you've read my book, you know I'm all about the balance of opposites... willpower and doing hard things versus chillpower and doing easy things. Being strong and brave while maintaining flexibility and resilience... 

I'm not gonna lie - Writing the book was a hard thing. Sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day pouring out my thoughts is not a strength of mine. But life is short and I knew the months would pass whether I dug in and finished or I dogged it and bailed. Just like crossing the finish line at a race, I wanted to look back, smile and know I did my best. 

Whatever obstacles you're facing right now, try to find gratitude and be inspired to stretch yourself. The obstacles are there to teach and stretch us into the new person we are meant to be. Maybe you too have a story to tell and a book to write! 

Flexibility is power! 
Namaste, 

Karen Dubs 
www.flexiblewarrior.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment