Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Yoga for Basketball



For the last two pre seasons, I've had the honor and priveledge to teach yoga for the University of Maryland Men's Basketball team. It's a special opportunity when I get to work with athletes and coaches I admire so much and cheer for!

The Terps Strength & Conditioning coach, Paul Ricci, has a unique approach and is a pleasure to work with. I love the fact that he takes the yoga classes with the team, tells me each week what areas to work and focus on, what they need stretched, and who's injured...

Some weeks their "yoga practice" was focused on challenging their strength and balance with warrior sequences...other weeks would be focused on breathing, flexibility and recovery. There's few other things as peaceful as seeing 15 strong guys sprawled out on a basketball court in Savasana with lavender scented bags covering their eyes, focusing on their breathing and stillness, with the buzz of the lights hissing in the background...

As a yoga teacher, I am always a student myself and often learn something from each and every one of my clients and classes. Each player on the team inspires me. I admire their athleticism, focus, and the willingness of the coaches and players to do what it takes. I think back to my college days and am in awe at how they do what they do.

I'm having a lot of fun watching and cheering them on! Like a worried mom I think "gosh I hope they're stretching, eating well and recovering" but one thing is for sure, whatever they are doing is working!

Namaste Terps!

p.s. Check 'em out doing some strength & conditioning...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarylandBBStrength#p/u/3/QvxMPajbczE

No comments:

Post a Comment