Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Inspired by Heroes & Warriors

Let the games begin!

Opening Ceremonies kick off tomorrow in London! I'm so excited to watch for Suzanne Stettinius as she represents Team USA. So proud of her!!! 

Ten years ago, when I started in the business of helping warriors be more flexible, I had in mind team sports like football, basketball, soccer and Lacrosse and individual sports like triathlon, swimming, running and golf. I'll admit, I didn't even know what a pentathlete was!


Working with Suzanne over the last year has inspired me more than ever. It's so rewarding to help an athlete like Suzanne stay flexible and recovered so she can train harder for her sports and do what she does best... Swim, fence, ride, run and shoot!
I couldn't be more excited to attend the most inspiring sporting event on the planet and I feel so honored to be among the family and coaches that will be there to support Suzanne and the other athletes. I'll be on my way to London soon...

But, before London, I am heading to Colorado on another adventure that is also a huge honor and is equally inspiring... Supporting the families of some of our countries greatest warriors and biggest heroes.
The camp is called the Knight of Heroes and the goal is to empower and uplift children who have lost their fathers during military service. As mentors, we provide a positive and adventurous environment, character development, and create lasting friendships. 



Prior to being a mentor at this camp, I ran many races to raise money, donated to good causes and occasionally donated time doing volunteer work. But taking a week out of my life to work with kids at this camp is unlike any other volunteer work I have ever done. It has changed my perspective and my life for the better. I truly understand what it means to "serve" now. 


Why I support this cause and camp?
I started supporting this camp three years ago when my nephew, husband and I decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon in honor of my brother, who died on January 15th 2008. Although my brother died in a car accident, he was a Marine and it was wonderful to run the race in his honor and raise money for the Knights of Heroes: http://www.flexiblewarrior.com/TeamScreaminEbe.html



What is the Knights of Heroes camp?
The KOH camp was started 5 years ago by Lieutenant Colonel Steve Harrold, to commemorate his friend and former pilot, Major Troy Lee "Trojan" Gilbert, who was killed during combat operations while flying his F-16 to protect ground troops in Iraq on November 27, 2006.  At the time of his death, Major Gilbert was a husband and father of five children.


KOH hosts families with common losses allowing them to share experiences and build relationships while increasing public awareness and ensuring that families with losses are not forgotten with the passage of time. The camp objectives include teaching children to be responsible, proactive, boundless, bold, and to exercise leadership while rejecting immorality, substance abuse, infidelity and a sense of entitlement.

Many of the challenges we face today can be tied to the absence of positive male mentorship in the lives of young men and women. Each summer, families with children between the ages of 11 and 17 are invited to attend at absolutely no cost. While the kids are at camp, the moms and younger siblings have the opportunity to spend time with other women who have experienced a similar loss and are facing similar challenges in raising their children. Knights of Heroes moms are a diverse group from all over the country, representing all branches of service and in all different stages of their journey. The friendships formed reach far beyond the week in Colorado.


Want to help? 
I am blown away by the support my husband and I have gotten over the last three years for this camp. Together we have raised well over $10,000 in private and corporate contributions by hundreds of donors. I'd like to make a special thanks to the Balitmore Ravens organization who are sponsoring a Maryland boy and his family this year!
The Knights of Heroes Foundation is currently raising money to purchase a camp property in 2015. This will allow the foundation to run mutliple programs throughout the year and offer families a place to retreat whenever they need. You can find out more and donate at
http://www.knightsofheroes.org We'll be posting pictures from the 2012 camp soon so stay tuned!

I'll have three days after returning from KOH camp to catch my breath before I head to London! So my next post may very well be "live from London"!

I'd like to pause for a moment in gratitude to be able to serve and be surrounded by the warriors and heroes that inspire me most over these next few weeks... From my fellow mentors at camp and the kids (and wives) who lost their brave Dads (and husbands) in service to our country... to the athletes who fearlessly pursue their dreams in the quest for greatness. They have all sacrificed and suffered in their pursuits and they all inspire me to continue to stretch my potential as well. It's an honor to be in your presense. Thank you.

Don't forget to tune into Opening Ceremonies tonight and cheer for Suzanne and TEAM USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment