Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Raw Chocolate and Bourbon Holiday Joy Pie

This is HUGE - my first recipe post! This is not really 'fuel for warriors' but even warriors need to get into the holiday spirit! 

I am no chef. I mean, I cook all the time and lately more so than ever since I started health coach school with Integrative Institute of Nutrition. But honestly, cooking is not my greatest strength ... but like all things, with practice and patience we get better over time. And now for me to post a recipe I created... Well this is monumental :)

Coming into the Holiday season I had a little goal of creating a healthier version of my fave Bourbon Ball cookies which traditionally are made with vanilla wafers and corn syrup. The funny thing is I'm not even a drinker but I have loved Bourbon Balls since I was a kid (my Dads favorite too so guess there's an emotional attachment there too like so many Holiday comfort foods). 

Last night while prepping for a small dinner party (with a CSA farmer and a health coach who teaches raw food cooking classes - No pressure ;) I decided to make a raw cacao pie for desert - An awesome recipe I found on Mind Body Green in the summer. But I was out of dates and I didn't feel like running back to the store so creating a crust without my standard date and walnut combo was my first challenge. 

Once I figured out a crust and started on the filling I had the AH HA moment to switch out the water for ... BOURBON! I wasn't sure if could set right but sure enough it turned out perfect and was a huge hit at the dinner party. 

So now I wanted to share the recipe since it's a festive holiday desert and way healthier than the average pie! 


Crust:
1 1/2 cups Cashew or Almond Meal (I used a combo of both that I got at Trader Joe's)
3 T melted Coconut Oil
pinch of sea salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1T maple syrup

Mix together nut meal with baking soda and spices. Mix together coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend all ingredients and press into a pie pan. Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 min. Let cool. 

Pie Filling: 
1 Cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
3T raw cacao powder (I used Navitas Naturals) 
1/4 Cup raw honey
1/4 Cup Bourbon (I used Makers Mark) 

I have a Vitamixer so simply put all ingredients in the blender for about 3 minutes until smooth. But you could use a mixer or regular blender. Poor into cooled pie crust and refrigerate for a good 2 hours. I put mine in the garage to chill since our fridge was maxed out. It was a little hard to cut fresh from the cold garage so I'd suggest letting it sit at room temperature while you have dinner since the coconut oil firms up and makes it tough to cut. 

And by the way, one of my dinner guests made a raw pumpkin pie and everyone decided to have a small slice of each and the combo of pumpkin, bourbon and chocolate was ridiculously delicious. And most had a little after dinner bourbon with desert, so no lack in holiday joy. 

OK. Hope you'll try my recipe and let me know what you think! Happy Thanksgiving! 

Peace, love, joy and chocolate :) 

Karen Dubs
www.flexiblewarrior.com 





1 comment: