Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Olympic Memories


As with most big events in life, the London 2012 Olympics came and went like a flash. For Suzanne, she trained and sacrifed for years leading up to the games. And now we're all home and will cherish all the Olympic Memories for a lifetime. As much as we're full speed ahead to "what's next" I always like to pause and reflect on a powerful experience to really soak it in.
While I was there, taking it all in, it was hard to make the time to blog much. But now that I'm home, I do have my top 13 favorite Olympic memories to share (yes I tried for 10 but just couldn't do it).

13) Freaking out (like a teenager watching American Idol) while watching Suzanne on TV represent Team USA at The Capitol Fourth on TV with Apollo Ohno, knowing this was just the beginning of the excitement to come...

12) Before heading out of town, getting all weepy and emotional, seeing signs all over Parkton wishing Suzanne good luck. And my husband telling me I can't cry at the Olympics. HA!!! Yeah Right. It was so exciting and emotional, I think even he cried!


11) Checking into our hotel, which just happens to also be a pub. How convenient! Except when waking up Sunday at 5am London time to hop on the tube by 6am to the first event (Fencing) after being awake all night hearing laughter and fights (our room was directly over a pub and with no AC and wide open windows, it was like we were in the pub). Funny now. Not so funny then.

In my head, I was like "suck it up" (a Suzanne phrase), knowing as tired as I was, Suzanne had 10 hours of competition ahead of her!!!



10) Getting the VIP treatment at the Proctor and Gamble Olympic Family house. Getting my hair and make up done there was as close to feeling like a movie star as I'll probably ever get. Thanks Suzanne and P&G (fabulous goodie bag to boot although had to leave half of it in London).



9) Seeing the Tower Bridge with the Olympic Logo in person. Breath-taking!!! I still can't believe I got the chance to go to the Olympics in London, but even more unbelievable was watching a friend and client compete!



8) Trying to keep up with Olympian parents the morning of THE BIG DAY could be in Olympic sport! Full speed ahead! If I was feeling anxious and excited, imagine how they were feeling!



7) If ever I needed to apply my yoga relaxation techniques "off the mat" it was while watching Suzanne fence at the Olympics. BREATHE.




6) The Olympic Aquatic Facility with Olympian Mom decked out in Team USA gear?! Need I say more?!


5) I love horses. And I know riding is one of Suzanne's greatest strengths. So I THOUGHT the Show Jumping event would be sort of, maybe, relaxing to watch? HA! Guess again. This was BY FAR the most intense sporting event I have ever seen... And I have seen some stuff. There is something about the silence of the crowd (like golfing tournement quiet, where you can hear every trott and breath of the horse) combined with the unpredictable behavior of the horses (that the riders just met 20 minutes earlier) and well, the fact that some girls literally got thrown off their horses and were chasing them through the arena to finish their series within the 75 seconds allotted. I literally didn't breath. And if I hadn't just had a patriotic gel manicure, I would have bitten off all my nails. But, when Suzanne entered the arena... she looked so beautiful, graceful and in control of her horse. It was a moment in time I will never forget.

4) Getting a wave from Suzanne during run-shoot warm ups made me so happy!

Then, once the competiton started, I got so dizzy and hoarse from screaming and cheering for Suzanne. The only way I know how to explain the excitement I felt is to compare it to a Raven's playoff game... then multiply it by 10.

Cheering for Suzanne there, surrounded by thousands of fans from all over the world in the beautiful scenery of London. WOW. WOW. WOW.


3) After moving out of Olympic Village, Suzanne moved into our hotel. Visiting her room post games to see the pile of fabulous Olympic Nike apparel and goodies she got (well earned) and wondering how the heck we were going to get this all in 4 bags! (BTW, this picture does not do it justice whatsoever). The scattered mess of clothes was a sight to see. The maids took one look and turned right around.
She had to come to my room to get mashed because there was literally no room in hers - Her floor was covered in gear for five sports, plus clothes from being away for over a month!
2) Heading out for an Olympic Pub Crawl on our last day in London, which ironically, like her competition day, also turned out to be a 10 hour event. Toasting Suzanne all decked out in her Nike Olympic gear - It was a day to remember!





1) And for my fav FAV Olympic Memory. After 10 hours of competeing on little to no sleep, rest or food, Suzanne decided to come up into the stands to see her family and coaches. We all were so excited and emotional to hug and congratulate her.

When an Olympic athlete enters the stadium, all eyes are on her, and she is soon surrounded by fans from all over the world asking for pictures and autographs. And even though she is exhausted and needed to shower up and get to closing ceremonies in an hour, she graciously smiles and signs as many as possible. Yep, that's our girl!


I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate and thank Suzanne again. Feeling the Olympic Spirit in London is a memory I will never forget. I've only had the opportunity to know Suzanne for a little over a year, but it was such an unbelievable honor and priveledge to support her through this journey to the Olympics and I hope that we will be friends for a lifetime.

The thing about Olympic athletes is that through their sacrifice, discipline and hard work, they inspire everyone else around them. In their presense, we are all inspired to rise up. An Olympian's energy, fearlessness and willingness to push the edge is contagious. My life definitely became more exciting and full the day I met Suzanne and I know that whatever she does going forward, she will always be an Olympian and put her whole heart and soul into everything she does...

And so this ends my "Olympic Blog" but I will continue to post about athletes who are "stretching their potential" with Ki-Hara Resistance Stretching and Yoga for Sports Conditioning. Who knows, we may have another Olympic blog for the summer 2016 games in Rio! 

Karen Dubs

No comments:

Post a Comment